Great! That’s the word which comes to my mind when I recall the two days spent at Bangalore Bar Camp 4 held on 28th and 29th of July at Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIMB). It was the first bar camp I attended, though it was the fourth one in Bangalore. Meeting similar bloggers, techies and people from the industry was just fantastic. In fact, I got so attracted to the concept, that on the second day, I took a session for all bloggers on “How to make money from a blog”. I will post more about my session in another post.
The event covered a lot of aspects on the Internet, Startups, Blogging, Programming etc. At one point of time, I was confused as to which seminar to attend! And then there were some of my old friends I bumped into J C Kiran, Madhav from Japan and Karthik! Other fantastic people I remember are Mr. Natrajan from Chennai, Sean, Sanjukta, Thejesh and Arun. Please visit their blogs; real great ideas! Food was good and the IIMB ambience and greenery made me be there longer!
I am waiting for Bangalore Bar Camp 5, where I intend to put in some of my organizing skills to good use!
Being in the web hosting & domain name registration industry, I have been asked this many times over by people from various backgrounds – novice bloggers to seasoned experts. Not because its my business, but due to many good reasons I recommend it. The most prominent advantage & reasons being the following which I will elaborate upon in my later posts:
- It gives you your own identity.
- You are not on the mercy of the blogs provider and fear of getting your blog deleted or suspended because of something you did or didn’t do!
- Having your own independent blog site gives you more options to make money and earn online.
- The best blog software packages are open source and hence free and totally customizable! Your cost towards the same is next to zero.
- The cost involved towards domain name registration and web space is very less, that too can be recovered within a month or two by a basic blogger! (PS: Ask me for all such requirement you have!)
- You have the freedom to add a forum, shopping cart, create a community or do nearly just about anything you can think up from your own domain or blog!
- You can customize just about anything on your blog, the look, feel etc by themes & plugins, which are available free and again open source for you to modify.
- And finally as Mike put in “if you are actively working to get back links (and you should be) you will want those to go to a domain that you control. If you create a high PR site you have an asset you can sell.”
- A few more advantages, I cant think of now as I have started sneezing due to dust allergy!
Well, anyways if you get more advantages on having your own blog to add please feel free to put it in the comments for the community. Questions and controversies are welcome too!
Patient: Doctor, I have an ear ache. 2000 BC: Here, eat this root.
1000 AD: That root is heathen, say this prayer
1850 AD: That prayer is superstition, drink this potion.
1940 AD: That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill.
1985 AD: That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic.
2000 AD: That antibiotic is artificial, here eat this root!
This is one of the first witty & humorous things I found on herbal products. Please feel free to add more from the comments!
- Courage doesn’t always roar; Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying…
“I will try again tomorrow“
I liked the above quote put up by my friend Karthik A on his blog. But both of us do not know the person who said it! If you know it, please put it in the comments. Thanks!
The light is still with me,
the fire burning strong,
my goal I will achieve,
but, the road is very long.
In solitude I climb uphill,
with company, I descend,
strange & known people I meet,
but, no one till the end.
Alone I come, alone I go,
alone, I win the game.
The game with treachery people play,
for riches, love and fame.
(This is an original poem written by me a few years back. One of the first ones that I like.)