Being in the web hosting & domain name registration industry, I have been asked this many times over by people from various backgrounds – novice bloggers to seasoned experts. Not because its my business, but due to many good reasons I recommend it. The most prominent advantage & reasons being the following which I will elaborate upon in my later posts:
- It gives you your own identity.
- You are not on the mercy of the blogs provider and fear of getting your blog deleted or suspended because of something you did or didn’t do!
- Having your own independent blog site gives you more options to make money and earn online.
- The best blog software packages are open source and hence free and totally customizable! Your cost towards the same is next to zero.
- The cost involved towards domain name registration and web space is very less, that too can be recovered within a month or two by a basic blogger! (PS: Ask me for all such requirement you have!)
- You have the freedom to add a forum, shopping cart, create a community or do nearly just about anything you can think up from your own domain or blog!
- You can customize just about anything on your blog, the look, feel etc by themes & plugins, which are available free and again open source for you to modify.
- And finally as Mike put in “if you are actively working to get back links (and you should be) you will want those to go to a domain that you control. If you create a high PR site you have an asset you can sell.”
- A few more advantages, I cant think of now as I have started sneezing due to dust allergy!
Well, anyways if you get more advantages on having your own blog to add please feel free to put it in the comments for the community. Questions and controversies are welcome too!